I have a dilemma.
A few weeks ago I put up plastic on my porch door. Sealed the outside and then the inside. It was about $20 worth.
With the heavy winds, the outside has come undone, in the weak spot. Where I crawled under and thought I'd sealed it well afterwards. So now, I have hours of "crinkly plastic flapping in the wind" sound. In case you haven't figured it out, I'm sensitive to/fairly aware of sounds.
So, the flapping outside plastic still is 3/4 connected. Still providing considerable insulation. The inner plastic is done beautifully. Nice and taut - with little extra plastic cluttering up the visual field. I have considered undoing part of the inner plastic and going out to fix the outer or rip it down. However, I question the brilliance of messing with the integrity of this insulating layer. It's working beautifully.
But I'm also worried about whether the noise of the "irritating plastic blowing in the wind" is bothering my neighbors. I've considered asking if I could climb over to my porch from thiers, but I don't relish the 3 foot climb over the rail and the 5 foot drop to my porch. Just doesn't look safe.
And the sound is quite irksome. However, I question whether it's my worry about the opinions of the neighbors that makes it irksome or whether it really is that annoying to me.
At this point what it comes down to is that I have one well placed layer of insulation with most excellent integrity and I think it foolish to mess with that. I'm also rather proud of how this inner layer looks and is holding up. It looks mighty fine.
Then again, I don't know that I want an entire winter of watching this plastic blow in the wind. If I were to go out there, would I take it down or attempt to fix it? I'm leaning towards taking it down. But it is providing reasonable, though not thorough, insulation. But to do so means sacrificing, and perhaps not being able to reestablish, this level of inner insulation.
For now, I will just watch it blow in the wind and hope it blows itself off the outer door completely, relatively soon. My guess is that one piece will stay stubbornly attached with the other 8 feet or so flapping in the wind for all to see, forcing me to go out there. But perhaps not.
I have a delimma. And thank God this is my biggest delimma at the moment. :) Truly, I thank God.
Creamy Asparagus & Mushroom Soup
2 hours ago

2 comments:
Not 5 minutes after writing this, a huge sharp gust came up and started to work on the "secure" corner.
A few minutes ago, I found it, attached by only one edge?/corner?. It's now all in the trashcan. That was fast.
Ask and ye shall receive. :)
darn! I was going to suggest the fire department ladder truck...
Post a Comment