05 March 2009

Let's Review...

Whoopsee... My recent improper use of Precursor in place of Prelude sent me running (well, very casually) to look them both up - and confirm the suspected error. Here is what I found.

Precursor, defined:

1. One that precedes and indicates, suggests, or announces someone or something to come: Colonial opposition to unfair taxation by the British was a precursor of the Revolution.

2. One that precedes another; a forerunner or predecessor: The new principal's precursor was an eminent educator.

3. The Way I Think of It (& Why I'm Surprised I Didn't Catch My Error) -- A biochemical substance, such as an intermediate compound in a chain of enzymatic reactions, from which a more stable or definitive product is formed: a precursor of insulin.
From: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/


Prelude, defined:

1. An introductory performance, event, or action preceding a more important one; a preliminary or preface.

2. Music
a. A piece or movement that serves as an introduction to another section or composition and establishes the key, such as one that precedes a fugue, opens a suite, or precedes a church service.
b. A similar but independent composition for the piano.
c. The overture to an oratorio, opera, or act of an opera.
d. A short composition of the 15th and early 16th centuries written in a free style, usually for keyboard.
From: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/

Indeed, using Prelude would've made a bit more sense. Cool.
.
.
.
.
.
.
This post could be a Precursor to many other explorations of word usage. Now, if only I owned the D.A.R.E.


If you are reading this, please grunt now, so I know. Thx.

No comments: