Why I Won’t Hire You by Matt Wilcox
"There are many fine articles about applying for jobs and preparing for an interview. But if you have never served on a search committee, their inner workings can seem mysterious. Just what are they thinking about as they go through the process of filling a job and finding a colleague? Have no fear: I will let you in on a few of the secrets of what goes on behind the closed doors of the academic library search committee. To make things a little easier, I’ll boil it down to three main things most important to you as a candidate: why I am not going to interview you, why I am not going to hire you after interviewing you, and why I am not going to hire you even though I want to. ..."
With delightful, honest answers like:
-- "Your cover letter makes you sound like you are dumb or stupid or bitter or a whiner/loser/incompetent person."
-- "I googled you and found that: a) You are weird, frankly, or
b) You whine a lot on listservs with searchable archives or
c) Whatever."
-- "Around lunchtime (remember, academic library interviews usually last a long day’s journey into night), you started to get unintelligible. Now I am on the search committee and I had dinner with you the night before and have seen you at various points in the day—I know you were cogent at one point, but some key people will have only seen you once and they cannot believe you have a brain."

No comments:
Post a Comment