From the audiobook:
"Thinking about conversations like the one I had with Laurie makes me mad. People approach me, uninvited, and make unsolicited statements. When they don't get the response they expect, they become indignant. If I offer no response at all, they become indignant at that. So there's no way for me to win.
Given that line of reasoning, why talk to people at all? Well, many autistic people don't. Possibly for that very reason. But for some reason I want the Lauries of the world to like me. To not to think i am weird. I can be eccentric, but I don't want to be weird.
... How normal people know which questions to ask is a mystery to me?
... I don't think to say those things unless I have consciously prepared to engage in conversation prior to approaching someone. ... I am tongue-tied when approaching people unless they approach me first.
... There is no external sign that I am Conversationally Handicapped..."
Creamy Asparagus & Mushroom Soup
2 hours ago

No comments:
Post a Comment