So, I pick up a random CD in a colleague's pile. Something like Ciao Amore (hinting at the Italian / Italian-American standards that I love).
The first track blew me away, but wasn't my usual Paolo Conte or Connie Francis. It's Lhasa. This is a few days ago.
Yesterday, two Lhasa CDs arrive (of course, on hold from my LOCAL PUBLIC LIBRARY). Oh My!! What an incredible tapestry - including some fantastic percussion / _______ (forgetting the word for all the pretty stuff that goes along with the drums, like bells and xylophones, etc. *hanging head*)
After listening to a few songs, my brain says, "Hey! That's quarter-tone trumpet." This is not something I usually can identify, except for my recent exploration of a certain artist yet to be mentioned. Then, my brain says, "Hey! Really. That's quarter-tone trumpet. AND, it sounds just like Ibrahim Maalouf."
So, I do what I never do - and consult the insert. Indeed, playing on the album of the group I'd never heard of until I picked up a random CD is my favourite trumpeter.
And the music is bloody awesome. I played it all day yesterday, this morning, and look forward to more this evening.
Creamy Asparagus & Mushroom Soup
2 hours ago

No comments:
Post a Comment